My IQ is called into question.

Last night, after fighting with statistics until my brain was mush, I stumbled upstairs to what should have been three sleeping boys. Superhero was asleep. Artist and Fighter had both climbed into their crib (they haven't slept in it in weeks--usually one sleeps on a small cot while the other shares Superhero's bed. They take turns on some schedule I can't crack, but it seems to be a pretty even split). They were lying on opposite ends of the crib with their feet occasionally touching, both curved around so that they could see each other, chattering away in their private language. Both were completely naked, their pajamas in a pile on the floor right beside their diapers. I came into the room and asked them what was going on (no matter what you may imagine, I wasn't the least bit upset. First, I'm used to their nudist lifestyle. Second, as much as I wish otherwise, since it's probably not good for them to be so indulged, I have a LOT of difficulty being angry with them when they are clearly happily and contentedly enjoying being twins.) Fighter, of course, immediately smiled happily at me, mumbled 'Ov oooo mama' around his thumb, then pulled his blanket up by his face and waited to see what I would do. Artist, on the other hand, stood up with a challenging squeal and waited for the question he seemed to know was coming. "Why are the two of you naked?" Artist then excitedly explained to me, using words, syllables, gestures, sign language, and I believe a little bit of song, that he had pooped in his diaper, so he took it off, and since he took off his clothes, Fighter wanted to be 'no diapie' too, and then they were playing and got sleepy. I stood there, staring on my mostly nonverbal child, utterly shocked at how much detail he had managed to communicate to me. Artist, apparently, understood my silence to be confusion, so he then repeated his story, more slowly, more loudly, and with more emphatic gestures than the first time--you know, exactly as you would see a person trying to explain something to another who did not speak the same language. Or, of course, someone of lesser intelligence than yourself. I may be the mommy, but I think most days *I* learn the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment