My Blessed Life

I had an epiphany standing in my kitchen today. I had just finished a marketing quiz and put the twins down for a nap (they, of course, were not sleeping). Superhero had decided to pick at his lunch after not eating any breakfast--he informed me he doesn't like food today (I suspect this is due to the fact that he has eaten like a baby elephant for the past week--even growth spurts need a break). I was cleaning up the twins' lunch mess, doing some laundry, loading the dishwasher, and thinking how much I wish my mommy-job had BREAKS. Then I stopped and thought, "What would I be willing to trade for breaks?" Tantrums and messes, of course, but no negotiator would go for THAT deal. So only the good stuff. Hugs, kisses, smiles? A sticky hand reaching up for me with delight written on an upturned, grubby face? A new word, the excitement in the eyes of one of my sons as he discovered something new? The sound of laughter on one of those unique times when they play peacefully together rather than play the 'that's MY toy' game? No, thank you. I don't sleep much, personal style is a thing of the past, and the work never ends. But I wouldn't trade one "uv ooo mama" for a week at the best spa, a vacation in the most beautiful location, the most expensive jewelry. So, the next time you see me exhausted, mismatched, and stressed to the max, just remember that it's a temporary condition, and under the tangled hair and broken fingernails is the happiest, most blessed mommy in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment